What is Radial Shockwave therapy?
Radial shockwave is an acoustic pulse that is pneumatically generated. This state of the art therapy is a safe, effective and non- surgical technology utilizing high-energy, short wavelength sound waves (a series of high-energy percussions) to the affected area. The shockwave breaks up calcium and scar tissue deposits. Treatment produces inflammation response, it causes the body to respond with increased metabolic activity and blood vessel growth and circulation around the site of pain and begins the healing process. The shockwave assists disorganized tissues to gradually heal through tissue regeneration and repair models.
Healing effects include
- Bone, tendon, and ligament regeneration
- increased blood vessel growth and formation in the affected areas (which brings more healing mediators to the injured area)
- chemically induced decrease in pain and sensitivity of the pain receptors. Diminish the pain felt in local nerves.
- Activate the body’s healing response
The research is showing that shockwave therapy has a success rate with
- 90% Plantar Fasciitis (foot and heel pain). (Journal of Orthopedic Research, 2005)
- 77% for Tennis Elbow. (Journal of Orthopedics, 2005)
- 91% for Calcific Tendonitis of the shoulder. (Journal of American Medical Association, 2003)
What conditions can be treated?
Radial shockwave therapy can be used to treat a variety of musculoskeletal conditions, in particular, those involving areas where major connective tissues attached to bone. Common sites that can be successfully treated are:
- Plantar Fascitis, heel pain, and Achilles tendonitis (heel pain)
- Patellar tendonitis, jumper’s knee, and shin pain (knee pain)
- Rotator cuff tendonitis and calcification (shoulder pain)
- Lateral Epicondylitis (Tennis Elbow)
- Medial Epicondylitis (Golf elbow)
- Trochanteric bursitis (hip pain)
- Shins pain
- Trigger points in muscles
- IT Band Friction Syndrome
At Memorial East Physiotherapy, our experienced physiotherapist will provide a thorough examination for you to determine if you are a good candidate for Radial Shockwave Therapy. Each individual treatment session for the Radial Shockwave Therapy session can range around 5-15 minutes. We will combine traditional Physiotherapy and Shockwave treatment to help you reach your optimal recovery faster. If you have any further questions regarding this treatment technique, we will be happy to assist you. Please call us at (403) 272-9628